Thursday, September 20, 2012

To The Kitty, Who Died.

                      "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." 
                                                                George Orwell
                                     
                                    Yesterday, was no more an usual day like today. 

It was one of those hot, scalding afternoons and there was a traffic hold up on the parched dusty road that I often travel on. I saw a little boy calling out to you, for you to come out from underneath a big scary white car. I guess in all your naughtiness, you didn't pay heed to his beckoning. You probably wanted the cool shade that enormous machine offered you, and you didn't really know how to get out. I can't imagine how frightened you must have been, little kitty. 

There was incessant, impatient honking from behind. The driver of a large ugly truck was getting irritated and obviously needed to be somewhere soon. Kitty, I don't think you realized that we human beings sometimes can be very apathetic, and almost cruel when it comes to things that really don't matter to us. You in your playful innocence would have given the driver of the white car the benefit of the doubt,thinking, ' oh, the big car will move soon, and I'll be able to get out', and move it did, and I saw you lying on your back with your paws helter skelter, and that's when I realized, that ' this kitty is hurt'.

I picked you up, as the white car sped off, and all I could see was a tiny bit of blood on your right ear. You appeared to be unscathed. There was still hope and I wanted to take you to the vet. I still could feel tiny movements in your body, but there was not a sound from you. I was ready to jump into the auto with you, to take you to the vet, but the autowalla refused, and I am sorry. I guess, that's when you breathed your last. That's when you said good-bye. I still remember, your eyes were wide open, a tiny bit of your tongue was out and that was it. You still looked beautiful kitty. I couldn't bury you then, I just left you on the pavement. The irony of it all, was that I was on my way to prepare for a class on death and dying.

Today, I saw you on my way out again, and I still didn't give it much of a thought, though it hurt me to see you like that. In the afternoon, little before the time you died yesterday, I was telling one of my friends about you, telling her how angry I was that you died. I realized that I should have buried you. So, off I went, this time with a shoe box and a pair of blue gloves and it was almost as if you were sleeping, when I gently put you into the box, and then ( Au revoir), I closed the lid and buried you under a pile of hard earth on the side of that same dusty road.

 
                                 May you rest in peace, sweet little kitty.

2 comments:

Agent M said...

This is insane.. a pup which i had rescued died last week too =(

Nivendra said...

hmm..strange how things happen sometimes.